Pages

My daughter said once that we have lots of adventures...so grew New Leaf Nickie, the blog intended to capture most of our adventures. If you've landed here, welcome to life with New Leaf Nickie on Havoc Hill Farm.







Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's Official...

So, today I made decision...well, I actually made several decisions today, but this is the one that I'm sharing at this time.

I AM RUNNING A 5K ON APRIL 24.

I've even recruited two others to join me:  my sister, Tammy, and my cousin, Amy.

We're going to follow (well, I'M going to follow coolrunning's Couch to 5K in nine weeks program.  I think we actually have only 8 weeks, but I'm into modification.  My goal for the 5K is to finish it running more than I walked.  That's it.  It's reasonable, it's achievable, and it's not too easy of a goal.  Remember, this is the from the person who, until VERY recently, couldn't run more than 1/2 mile because I couldn't breath.  I'm still learning to breath when I run and to land on my forefoot rather than my heel, so these goals are true goals for me.  Not just some random, non meaningful goals. 

This week's training program looks like this:

W1D1 (Week 1, Day 1)  Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
W1D2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.
 W1D3 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

I plan to add a weight training day or two in here as well, but am not sure when.  I'll probably do the 10 minute trainer; however, I may add a dumbbell workout that I create myself.  We'll just have to see.

I feels really good to have a goal.  I've been struggling since the beginning of the year with what my workout goals.  I started P90X and I love the workouts, but it just wasn't what I wanted as the end result.  I wanted more cardio, less weight lifting.  I really like the elliptical, but what can that give me?  I needed to achieve something besides increasing my distance while going NO WHERE!  Then I reminded myself of my bucketlist.  OH YEAH....the "run a 5K."  And here I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment